Can’t file (or pay) taxes on time?

Share on StockTwits

Tax day is arriving; but what if you can not file — or pay — your earnings ?

The IRS stated Friday that even with days to go until the deadline, roughly 50 million citizens have to file their tax returns. Do not despair — there are choices, if you’re one of them.


Ask for an extension, if you do not think you’ll have the ability to complete and file your taxes on time.

Filing an expansion helps taxpayers avoid penalties for a return, according to the IRS. It’s possible to seek an extension through your tax planning professional the IRS site or tax preparation software companies.

It does not supply more time to cover any taxes, while more time to file is provided by an extension.

The deadline pay taxes and to file individual tax returns is April 15 for many taxpayers. Because of area holidays have till April 17.


Anyone can request an automatic extension that is tax-filing, but a few people get extra time according to the IRS. More time to file is automatically got by those operating in a combat zone and Americans living abroad, disaster victims.

Check the IRS website for specific dates but victims of certain federally declared disasters — such as last year’s California wildfires, the Alaska earthquake or intense storms in several areas of the U.S. — are all permitted to file later and prevent certain penalties. Eligible support personnel working in a combat zone and military service members have at least 180 days after they leave the combat zone to pay and file. And U.S. citizens who reside and work out the U.S. and Puerto Rico have until June 17 to meet their tax responsibility.


It’s also crucial to not rush when you file your earnings while it’s very important to heed deadlines.

The IRS reminds taxpayers when hurrying to submit a tax return that errors can happen. Errors may mean tax refund waits and processing times.

The ideal approach to prevent common mistakes would be to document electronically. The IRS estimates that approximately 70 percent of taxpayers can file their tax return at no charge by making use of the IRS Free File program. Additionally, it has electronic versions for the ones which do not qualify for Free File online of its own forms.


Although you owe money to the IRS but can not afford to cover it there is no need to panic, says tax and CPA expert at TurboTax, Lisa Greene-Lewis.

Get in touch with when you file your taxes, the IRS to request an agreement. An agreement will make it possible for you to set up a monthly payment plan to cover away your federal tax debt over 6 decades if you meet the requirements. If you’re ready to repay your balance within 120 days, the installation plan won’t cost you any additional fees.

Should an expansion files but you opt not to cover what you owe from the tax deadline, the IRS will give you a penalty and interest on the taxes that you owe .

Get in touch with your payment options to be discussed by the IRS . The bureau could have the ability to provide different types of relief that will help you repay your debts. Sometimes, the bureau may be able to waive penalties. However, the bureau is not able to waive interest charges which accrue on unpaid tax statements.

Don’t ignore the problem because failure to file or pay federal taxes may result in serious and costly consequences.


Send them into [email protected], if you have personal finance questions to the Associated Press